Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Now PLAYING on my Turntable

Paul Motian Trio - "Dance" (ECM Records, ECM-1-1108)


If there's more subtle playing elsewhere than on this record, let me know. This trio's performance here is all nuance, coupled with a willingness to take calculated risks. Is this music improvised or carefully planned out? All I know is I've been enjoying the results for many, many years.

You have Motian's masterful cymbal and brush work, Brackeen's sweet flowing soprano sax, and Izenzon' s solid, yet soft bass lines (with interesting bowing touches here and there).

This is one of the records I NEVER grow tired of. I keep coming back to it over and over again, yet it never fails to surprise me.

Bravo.


Not easy to find on vinyl, though. You can always pick up the CD reissue here:





No comments:

Post a Comment